EVERYTHING IS FINE UNTIL IT'S NOT
Written and Performed by Doreen Oliver
Doreen Oliver is the writer and performer of this humorous & gripping one-woman show that explores the relationship between mothers and their children, and the ability to accept those you love, even if they’re not who you expected.
Doreen is a workaholic film producer whose life goes off-script after her son is diagnosed with autism. As she tries everything the experts advise to help her young son become more “normal,” she seeks strength from her mother and aunts, a funny, irrepressible crew of old-school African-American matriarchs born and raised in Newark, NJ. Doreen abandons her career and focuses all of her attention on her son, who, despite her efforts, is not progressing the way she hoped. Under the loving yet scrutinizing eye of her mother, Doreen feels like she’s failing the one job that matters most.
A candid look at how we try to change the people that matter most to us, and how we cope when we realize we can’t.
MAC is currently securing single performance through week-long engagements beginning in the Fall of 2018 through Spring of 2021.
- NBC News by Sabrina Campbell, 2016
- Time Out by Lexie Pregosin, 2016
- Theasy by Adrienne Urbanski, 2016
- New York Amsterdam News by Mika Basson, 2016
+ Awards & Nominations
- 2017 Winner of United Solo & Backstage Audience Award
- 2016 FringeFAVE at the New York International Fringe Festival
+ Production History
- Montclair Film in partnership with Vanguard Theater Company, April 2018
- United Solo Festival, 2017 (Sold Out Run)
- PNew York International Fringe Festival (Broke record for fastest sell-out of run in festival’s 20-year history)